What is best practice for linking to your own website from a client's site?

Papon

Linking to your client's sites isn't something I do, but I know other reputable SEOs who will do this. It's tough; in any other industry, it makes sense to list your clients. In SEO, I feel like Google looks closer at client sites when they're affiliated with known SEOs, and more importantly, so do your competitors. I don't want to make it that easy. If you want to know what our clients are doing, do your homework - we did!

Best practice: Do not take advantage of your access to your client's site in order to build yourself a link. Do not put a link to your site in the footer even if they give you permission.

Web desginers sometimes claim that it's okay for them to do this. Gee, what if a visitor likes the way the site looks? A link to the designer's site would be helpful to them! I think that's a silly argument, but I don't think it's completely ridiculous. For an SEO company, it's completely ridiculous. No visitor is thinking "I'm so impressed that this site was #1 on Google for [red toe socks]! I wish I knew who does their SEO!" The link doesn't help your client's visitors, so it doesn't help your client.

Archived