What is a good bounce rate..?

ruhikhan

Hi Friends,

Google’s definition of bounce rate is the percentage of single pageview visits to a website. But they actually have it wrong. 

It is very common for clients to ask us what a good bounce rate is, or what the average bounce rate is. In the past, I’ve usually offered an answer supported by my own anecdotal evidence. I figured it was probably time to put my intuition to the test. 

I pulled the analytics data stretching back over roughly a year for a relatively small sample of websites (about 60) and averaged them out. The domains were picked at random. Most were clients. Some were not. Some profiles had 1,000,000+ unique visitors, some with only a few thousand. Some have active internet marketing campaigns. The majority do not. The sample set is all over the place. 

Hi Friends,

Bounce rate would have more meaning if it was measured better.

Assuming you are using GA to measure your bounce rate, anything below 60% is good.

But, if you are on Wordpress, and using plugin like “Reduce Bounce Rate”, which sends pings to GA to let it know that visitor is still actively reading content on your page, then you should be aiming at 30–40%.

Anything below 20% is extremely unrealistic, unless you have literally no traffic and all you got are 5 visits, all from yourself on different IP and you were clicking around every time.

Archived